The Catholic Church’s 2,000 year old teaching regarding same sex attraction as it relates to the idea of same sex “marriage” is facing increasing hostility in our country today.
Our American culture and laws are becoming increasingly intolerant of Biblical principles regarding the nature of human sexuality in general, and same-sex unions in particular.
Because of the sensitivity of this topic for many people, it is good to take a step back and begin by considering some of the basics of Christian faith:
- God loves us all and calls everyone to holiness so that we may be happy with Him forever
- God made us and best knows what will make us happy. Turning away from God’s plan for us will always lead to unhappiness. We can’t be truly happy apart from God or by rejecting his commandments.
- God’s Word as found in the Bible can be trusted as true and good for us.
- Catholic teaching on faith and morals represents what Christians have always believed from the time of Jesus and the Apostles.
- Our approach to difficult or controversial issues of faith should always be to open our hearts to what God wants to teach us and to form our minds according to His truths. It is not helpful if our starting point and end goal is to merely reject and disprove what the Church teaches.
“Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2
Within this context, the links below will help those who truly want to know God’s will, to better understand this topic from a Catholic perspective. They provide the unambiguous scriptural basis for Catholic teaching and explain what the Catholic Church does and does not teach on this subject. Please read them with an open mind.
Our love is a sharing in God’s love and who he is. God is love and we are created in His image and likeness. We cannot change the nature of our love or who we are any more than we can change God’s love and who He is.
“For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base mind and to improper conduct.” (Rom. 1:26–28).
Why Homosexual Unions are not Marriages
Help for Those Struggling with Homosexuality
Courage Apostolate: How to Deal with Same Sex Attractions
Catechism of the Catholic Church on Homosexuality
Not Born that way – Study reveals flaws in LGBT claims
The US Bishops react to the Supreme Court’s Decision affirming Homosexual “Marriage”
Adults Raised by Gay Couples Speak Out Against Gay ‘Marriage’ in Federal Court
10 Reasons Why Homosexual “Marriage” is Harmful and Must be Opposed
Related Topic: Gender Confusion