For information about St. Francis Cemetery, please contact Mr. Dennis Menning: (859) 635-7221 or email@example.com
Dedicated in 1858 in Jamestown, this was the parish cemetery for St. Francis Of Assisi Church till 1913, and St Bernard Church thereafter.
To donate to preserve these sacred burial grounds, click on the DONATE button above or mail a check to St. Bernard Church (put “Cemetery” in the memo), 401 Berry St., Dayton, KY 41074.
St. Francis Cemetery is a land-locked cemetery with approximately 900 graves: MAP. It has restricted public access due to the limits of the right-of-way agreement with the railroad, the topological circumstances, and the poor access conditions. This 165-year-old cemetery belongs to St. Bernard Parish and dates to the days of St. Francis Church, which is the precursor of St. Bernard Church. Parishioners of St. Bernard Parish and those who have family buried in the cemetery have the right to visit the cemetery, but this right can only be exercised when they are accompanied by staff or volunteers who are familiar with the cemetery’s terrain and access. Burials in the cemetery are no longer permitted by the Diocese to protect and ensure the safety of staff and the families of loved ones, as well as to prevent the disturbance of interred remains, given the condition of the cemetery and the difficulty in identifying graves. This decision was made by Bishop Iffert in a letter dated November 1, 2022, when the Diocese resumed the responsibility and cost of mowing and trimming the cemetery. The Parish remains responsible for any additional work needed (removal of fallen trees, cutting back of brush…)
A record of the location of graves by row and name can be found at: